PURPOSE OF CHARTER
The DREAM Board Charter sets out the role, composition, responsibilities, operational matters and governance of the Board of Directors of DREAM Challenges.
PURPOSE OF THE BOARD
The Board is responsible for overseeing the performance and governance of DREAM Challenges through:
- Defining, approving and promoting the vision and mission of DREAM Challenges
- Defining, approving and implementing DREAM strategies and policies
- Setting and reviewing the governance policies for DREAM Challenges and ensuring best practices are implemented across Challenges
- Ensuring consistency in communications and branding
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The DREAM Board of Directors will have a minimum of 5 Directors (so that a quorum can be formed for biweekly meetings). The Board has delegated authority for operations and administration of DREAM to the DREAM Chair, who is also the Board Chair.
The DREAM Chair is responsible for:
- Leading the development of operational policies and ensuring efficient and effective operation of DREAM Challenges;
- Working with the Directors to arbitrate and resolve disputes;
- Chairing biweekly meetings of the Board; and
- Serving as the deciding vote for split votes.
The DREAM Directors are responsible for:
- Electing the DREAM Chair;
- Participating in biweekly Directors Call (expected minimum of 70% attendance);
- Vetting DREAM challenges;
- Ensuring timely publication of DREAM manuscripts;
- Developing and overseeing/supporting 2 DREAM challenges during a 3-year term; and
- Serving as champions for DREAM Challenges through community outreach and engagement efforts.
MEMBERSHIP AND TERM
The DREAM Chair is elected by the Directors to serve a 3-year term. Upon completion of the term, the Chair Emeritus may return to the board as a Director. There is no limit on the number of terms the DREAM Chair can serve.
The Directors will designate a Chair Elect one year prior to the completion of a Chair’s 3-year term to ensure a smooth transition in leadership.
A Director serves a 3-year term with the potential to serve additional terms if the Board decides to re-elect them. There is a limit of 2 Directors from a single institute serving on the Board at the same time.
The Board will adhere to the following rules for governing:
- Majority voting (5 Directors + 1 chair) required for
- Selection of Chair Elect
- Blocking (vetoing) challenge
- Changes / amendments to DREAM rules
- Changes/ amendments to DREAM Board Charter
- Super-majority voting (⅔=4)
- Addition / removal of directors
- Blocking a participant from DREAM
REVIEW OF CHARTER
The Board will review this charter annually and revise as needed.